Monday, January 3, 2011

2011 Here I Come

My New Year goals for 2011


Some/many of the goals will remain the same. It seems that it takes me longer to make a habit than most.

1. Post on my blog at least once a week

I really want to be better at this. I really like looking back and seeing what we have done during the year. It is nice to know that we actually do stuff as a family since I often feel like a failure in this area.

2. Take a picture every day.

Yes again I am going to try this. I got a Canon Powershot S95 for Christmas (awesome point and shoot) and I am loving the pictures. I am on day 3 and I am going strong :)

3. Plan more activities for my family.

When Neal is home after work or on the weekends (which has not happened often this year) I feel like we do a lot of lazing around and watching TV. I know Neal wants some down time after working but Cedric and I enjoy getting out and we both be stir crazy when we stay home for so long. I will try to find some good activities for at home. Cedric is getting old enough to play a few games and he is crazy good at puzzles.

4. Start doing Preschool with Cedric

I just purchased the ABC fun 123 curriculum and I think it will be good. I will want to add a few things I am sure but it is a good start.


5. Dinner on the table at 6:00pm

Last year it was to cook 3 meals a week and that didn't work. So this year dinner at 6:00 whether it is homemade or not :) Lets keep these realistic now.

I did purchase a book called “The Food Nanny Rescues Dinner” I am hoping with will help.

I also plan to make 8 weeks worth of menus with shopping lists so I can pull one out of the file if I do not have time to plan for the week

I also really want to start the freezer meal group.

6. Read the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John) Between Christmas and Easter.

I know this is not real original but I have been wanting to do this for the last several years and never get it done.

7. Lose 25lbs.

I have 2.5 months to lose 10 lbs. This will get me down to my pre-pregnancy weight by the time Lila is 9 months (9 months on 9 months off) I had lost a decent amount of weight after Cedric but during our move to CA I put on 10 lbs so the extra 15 is really doable with a bit of work. I would also like to do a triathlon but every time I say I am going to do one I get pregnant so I am not going to put it as a goal.

8. Read 25 books from the BBC book list

I am sure you have all seem the BBC book list http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/bigread/top100.shtml and they believe most people have only read 6 of the books. I have read 20 of them. I do feel that they have copped out on some of the list like “Complete work of Shakespeare” counts as one.

9. Take at least one community education class

The Photoshop class starts in March.

10. Earn my Young Woman medallion.

As YW Pres I get the chance to earn my medallion again and I really want to do it. However we will most likely be moving this year which means I need to pick up the pace to get it done. If you have not looked at the new program you should. It is wonderful, and the awards are much more frequent and pretty. (I also think it is easier than it was when I was in YW. Does that make me sound old?)

11. Finish our three month security fund

Also known as a freedom fund or many other names. We have been following Dave Ramsey's money makeover. We became debt free this year, we have our little emergency fund and we are now working on our three months supply. It is not going as fast as I want it to go. I will be much stricter with our money and we will get this done!

12. Be more attentive during meals

I find myself using Breakfast and Lunch as a time to keep kids occupied while I do other things, sometimes it is cleaning, sometimes it is checking my emails but whether they are good things or not I need to take time to sit down and visit with the kiddos.  I think I could read scriptures in the morning to them as they eat and then visit during lunch.  Cedric is becoming very interesting and it is so fun to have conversations with.  He says the funniest things.

On a side note

I took down my Christmas decorations yesterday (tree still in corner until green waste day). Most years I am sad to take it down and the house feel so empty. This year I was so anxious to get them put away and I am loving the empty house. What do you suppose this means?

5 comments:

Shanna said...

Oh I feel so good that I've read 17 of the BBC books, started at least 5, and know the titles of at least 20 of them. Side note, North and South the book? AWEFUL! I hated reading it almost as much as I hated reading Memoires of a Geisha, both of which I forced myself to finish reading, hating every minute.

N Luthi said...

I love your list and wish you the best of luck with each goal. I personally love setting goals and then checking them off as I really do them. As to your money makeover which plan of his did you use and what did you do. I would love to make this aspect in my life a little better.

FLEUR de Lo said...

That's the very camera I'm going to buy as soon as it's restocked from the Christmas rush! I'm so jealous you already have it in your hands! I want to take more picts, too. I've down-sized my purse and I don't carry my big one with me any more. Hopefully a smaller camera will help. I'm impressed that you have your list for 2011 already. I still haven't checked in with 2010 yet. You're always ambitious. We should talk. I'm dying to hear where you'll be moving.

lannie_rae said...

I never know where I am supposed to answer you all. On your blogs or on mine so I will try this.

Nicky- We got the book The Total Money Makeover 3rd edition. All of his books are basiclly the same but this was the one at the store. I really like how this ones covers everything including saving for your kid's school. We chose this plan because it also fits right with what the church advices but it gives you good step by step plans.

Lora-I love the camera. It is so much better than our last one. I wish you were around so you could help me get the most out of it. Neal got it for me on Newegg.com and saved 50 buck so you coud try looking there. I too would like to know where and WHEN we are moving. I am trying to plan a disney trip and would like to know if I will still be in the state.

Joyce said...

These are awesome goals! I hope that you keep them. It makes me want to actually set goals :)Good Luck!